In the 18th century, during this time of spiritual awakening, many moral and social reforms became platforms for Christian churches; perhaps the abolition of slavery being the most conspicuous. The Wesleyan Church began its roots in England during this time through the essays and teachings of John Wesley in 1738.
Fast forward to America in the 1800’s… with the “American Wesleyan Church” coming into being in 1843 because of the mainline denominations refused to take a stand on the issue of slavery. It was from this “anti-slavery” position and desire to spread “Scriptural holiness over these lands” the Wesleyan Church was formed.
El Cajon Wesleyan Church – originally called Bostonia Wesleyan Methodist Church, was first organized in 1925; holding their meetings in the Episcopalian parsonage of Rev. James Spencer. With a move to their own building on Peach Street in 1925, and then exchanging their lot for a larger one in 1948, a new church was dedicated in honor of their pastor, D.H. Scott and was renamed Scott Memorial Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The congregation grew and began looking for new property in the late 1950s and purchased our current 5 acre location in 1961. The chapel and fellowship hall/ classrooms were built in 1964 and El Cajon Wesleyan Methodist Church was dedicated on February 21, 1965.
Since that time, many changes have been made to the campus; including additions of educational buildings and most recently, in 1998, the completion of our new sanctuary.